Township of Ocean Historical Museum
Copyright 2017 (C) Township of Ocean Historical Museum
Township of Ocean Historical Museum
Address: 703 Deal Road, Ocean, NJ 07712
Mail: P.O. Box 516, Oakhurst, NJ 07755-0516
Kepwel Spring Water has been bottling water at Cold Indian Springs in Wayside since the mid- 1800's This is the Spring House in the 1870's.
The spring pond at Cold Indian Springs was originally open to the public for swimming in the summer. Known as Kepwel Park, it was a popular swimming pond. Many local residents learned to swim at Kepwel Park (a pond being considered much safer then the ocean for beginners). The property surrounding the spring was subdivided and sold in the mid 1960's. The pond still exists, but the property is private.
Middlebrook Farms once occupied the area on the south side of Deal Road from State Highway #35 to Roller Road and south to the brook that springs from Cold Indian Springs and runs into Deal Lake. The property was subdivided in the 1960's creating the Middlebrook Shopping Center, The Middlebrook Apartments, and the neighborhood off of Roller Road. The house still exists, but is now located on Oak Knoll Drive (its former rear entrance).
Copper Gables, named for its beautiful copper roof, was originally a small Wayside farmhouse. Sections were added to the house over a period of years until the 1920s, when it was bought by Perry Rawson, a successful stockbroker. Rawson made extensive renovations and added the gable and roof. Today only the gable have retained the copper roofing. The house is an office building, and the property also houses the Oakhurst Fire Department, Station 2, the Hillel Yeshiva High School, and Congregation Sons of Israel Synagogue.
The Half-Way House, later known as the Wayside Inn, was built in 1865 by James H. Dangler on what is now Green Grove Road. It served as a tavern along the stagecoach route between the Allaire Iron Works and the docks in Oceanport. The proprietor, also known as "peg-legged Jim," was a Civil War veteran. The area was originally called Danglerville, then Centerville, and now Wayside. In the late 1800s, there was a post office, a blacksmith shop, a school, a Methodist church and a general store. Today this is a private home on Green Grove Road.
Maps' Pond was located along the Whale Pond Brook west of Route 35 (where the Twin Brook Apartments Complex is today). In the days before refrigeration, ice was cut from local ponds and stored in icehouses. Ice harvesting was an important source of income for farmers in the winter months. The icehouse owners bought the ice, stored it over the winter, and sold it months later in the summer. The image on the right features one of several icehouse located along the Whale Pond Brook west of Route 35. When the warm weather arrived, deliveries of ice were made by horse and wagon to homes, restaurants, and hotels. In the day before refrigeration, an icebox was used to keep foods from spoiling. The blocks of ice were put in the icebox and replaced as they melted.
The original Wayside School stands on the Tinton Falls side of Hope Road, north of West Park Avenue. This building was used as a school until 1911, when the pupils were sent to Oakhurst School. Originally, the only High School classes were offered in Long Branch after 1876 (later Asbury Park built a High School). Students traveled there by stagecoach. The school house still exists as a private home on Hope Road in Tinton Falls.
This post card, from about 1910, shows the intersection of Green Grove Road/Hope Road with Bowne Road in downtown Wayside. On the left is the edge of the Wayside Inn. On the right, is the house on the corner of Bowne Road and Hope Road that still stands today.
The settlement in Centerville (Wayside) was the site of the first church in the township. In 1881, a group of residents meeting in the Poplar School planned the new church. By 1882, the church was built on West Park Avenue at a cost of $1,200, which was pledged by the church members. It is known today as the Wayside Methodist Church.
The Nathaniel Woolley/William H. Bennett farm was located on West Park Avenue, just east of Route 18. It is shown on maps dating back to 1851, when Nathaniel Woolley owned the property, until 1873. William Bennett then purchased the property. When he died in 1893, Bennett willed his farm of "67 acres, 12 wagons, and 3 wagon houses" to five heirs. Today, the farm is the location of St. George's Greek Orthodox Church.
Originally built in 1860 by Jacob King, King Farm (for which Kings Highway is named) existed on the corner of West Park Avenue and Kings Highway. The property passed through several generations of the King family.
In 1941, it was purchased by Nelson and Grace Quackenbush, who renamed it Old Hickory Farm. They sold produce from the Barn on West Park Avenue. In 1969, their son and daughter-in-law, Ray and Virginia Quackenbush took over operations and changed the name to Red Barn Farms, which existed until 1989.
The property was sold and Cobblestone Village Shopping Center was built on the land.
The fields and barns of the Kaplan Farm, which was located between on Bowne Road and extended back to Route 18 along Asbury Avenue in Wayside. The farm existed until about 2000, when it disappeared to make way for houses. The working farm that was built in the early 1900 had cows, horses, pigs, turkeys, goats, and sheep at various times during its existence. Neighbors tell of land that supported orchard and strawberry fields and sheep that supplied wool for blankets. One of the last tracts of farmland in the township, it is now only a memory.
The Green Family was an early Monmouth County Family. They originally owned land near Takanassee Lake in Elberon, and when the United States Lifesaving Service built a lifesaving station there, were some of its earliest lifesavers.
Part of the family built a farm in Wayside in 1840. James and Victoria Green owned the property in the early part of the 1900's. Victoria Green, was Principal of the Wanamassa School from its opening in 1930 to 1949. The farm stood on the south side of West Park Avenue, and is where Route 18 is today.